Alien registration and visa status change

Alien Registation

  • If foreign nationals intend to stay in Korea more than 91 days, they must have their registration done within 90 days upon arrival at the Immigration Office within their residential district.
  • Documents
    • Passport, application of alien registration permit, two passport size photos, a copy of enrollment certificate, and registration fee (KRW 100,000)

Change of Visa Status

  • Documents required for D-2 Visa from D-4
    • Passport, a copy of alien registration card, an application form, a copy of standardized certificate of admission, a receipt of tuition payment, a copy of certified diploma, a Notarized Certificate of Diploma, a certificate of stay, a copy of certificate of Korean language course enrollment, and application fee(KRW 130,000)

Stay Extension Permit

  • Documents required for regular diploma programs (bachelor, master, PhD, etc)
    • Passport, a copy of alien registration card, an application form, a certificate of enrollment, a certificate of transcript, a certificate of stay, a receipt of tuition payment, Bank statement indicating minimum deposit of USD 6,000 and fee(KRW 60,000)
  • Documents required for students preparing for their thesis or dissertation paper after completing their regular diploma program courses.
    • Passport, a certificate of alien registration certificate, an application form for stay extension, a letter of recommendation from a department chairman, and fee (KRW 60,000)

Stay Extension after Graduation for Full-time Employment

  • It is allowed to earn permit for stay extension after graduation in the pursuit of building a job career for those
    • Who have gained a bachelor’s degree or higher and whose GPA is over 3.0 in science and engineering areas;
    • Who have earned master’s degree or higher in liberal arts or in science and engineering areas and have a letter of recommendation of their department chariman; and
    • Who are college graduate with GPA of 3.0, have a letter of recommendation from a dean or president of the University and are highly likely to be hired in 12 professions open for foreign nationals.
  • Extension period: within 6 months
  • Documents
    • Passport, a copy of alien registration card, a photo, an application form, a copy of diploma, a college transcript, a letter of recommendation, a certificate of stay, and application fee(KRW 130,000)


  • If foreigners who have their alien registration done want to leave Korea within the period of stay, they must gain a permission from an immigration office within their residential district or at the airport or port before or on the very day of their departure; and they must re-enter Korea within the permitted period of stay.
  • The period for re-entry is granted within the initial period of stay. Multiple re-entry permission is only available in an immigration office within the district of their residence in Korea.
  • If there is any unavoidable reasons taking place, which prevents him/her to re-enter the country within the permitted re-entry period, it is possible to extend the period as long as 60 days more at the discretion of Korean diplomatic and consular officials in foreign countries.
  • If they fail to re-enter the country because of their own mistakes or carelessness, they must get their visa reissued.
  • It is not allowed for students to apply for re-entry permit during their leave of absence period.
  • Required Documents- Passport, a copy of alien registration card, and an application form for re-entry

S-3 Visa for Part-time Job Seekers

  • Qualified students : those who are recommended by their professor (higher above full-time instructor)
    • Those who have D-2 visa and enroll a tertiary education institution (including 2-year college and above) and have completed at least one semester.
      • As for those who changed their visa status to D-2, the period during which they took language courses before they changed their visa status will be considered as the period of regular academic courses.
    • Those who have completed regular courses (including master’s and doctorate degrees) and are preparing for a thesis or dissertation.
  • Criteria
    • Hours and period permitted for part-time job seekers
      • Not more than 20 hours a week during a semester (in case of holidays (including Saturdays) and vacations, there is no limit.)
      • Not more than two(2) workplaces
      • One year within the period of stay (extension available)
      • Same to those who have completed master’s or doctorate degree courses and are preparing for a thesis or dissertation.
      • only for those who have their registration done for a semester
  • Required Documents
    • a letter of recommendation

Korea lmmigration Office